Thursday, February 4, 2010

Beet Murder

Oh yes, you read that right. Beet Murder. We just so happen to receive an overabundance, or a perfect amount of abundance... or perfect amount of bundance? Anywho, we get a lot of beets in our farm box. Typically, I am a roasted beet type of girl, but we had about 10 small and medium beets on our hands begging to be eaten.

After a bit of googling, I found that it is not only nutritious but delicious to eat beets raw. Enter THE SPIRALIZER!!! (Another awesome Christmas addition to the kitchen--thanks again Dad and Thonky!) I have yet to nickname this kitchen gadget, but you can bet your boots it will get an X-Men themed name to join the team of Professor K/Xavier and Wolverine. Probably a villain, being murderous and all. Vote?

1) Mr. Sinister - he just so happens to be "a master manipulator" and pretty much an all around evil genius.
2) Astra - she can "reduce her density in order to become intangible"
3) Sabretooth - obviously, he has some very sharp teeth, among other awesome mutant capabilities. And I do like the idea of having rivals amongst my kitchen gadgetry.
4) Spiral - perhaps too obvious?

But back to the murder. I give you the scene of the crime:

Death by spiralization. Delicious and beautiful.


We have your standard red beet, the chioggia beet and some turnips! All spiralized to perfection.

But what to do with these spiralized beauties? 

SALAD!

We tossed all the veggies together with a Seestor Katy inspired dressing.


I believe it was for Christmas Dinner that Katy served us a salad with a "parsnip dressing". Wanting to replicate the delicious flavor, I gave big seestor a call and she gave me instructions on inventing my own veggie based dressings. So I threw a bit of parsnip, a few cloves of garlic, some carrot top greens, olive oil, salt and lemon juice into Wolverine, et voilĂ !

Well sort of, I may have scraped the sucker clean before remembering that I just invented (in a way...) a new tasty treat and should document it. But you get the idea. Right?

And it was delicious. Although quite pink... those beets are good at coloring EVERYTHING.

Alas, the spiralizer only took care of 5 beets. Enter the old stand-by, roasting!

There you have it. An evening of delicious beet destruction.

And to finish it off with a pun... Just BEET IT!

6 comments:

  1. Sabretooth! Sabretooth! That's my vote!

    Oh, and scrumptious looking food- I'm jealous of your farm box- our CSA doesn't start back up until spring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap. I have to get a spiralizer. You can make delicious noodles out of daikon radishes too...they're amazing with avocado!

    And I like Astra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get that spiral thingie? I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can find this particular spiralizer on Amazon! The "Benriner Cook Help Spiral Vegetable Slicer"... and yes most of the instructions are in Japanese. But it is a pretty straight forward tool.

    ReplyDelete

Comment? Yes, please!

Betsy's shared items

Followers